How to build a keyword map
By having a keyword map, you can start to plan out topic and sub topics. You have a process to cut down procrastination and focus on getting content created.
Your able to see what post rank and don’t as well as which need work. Also having a map means you can easily hire writers as you know what they need to write, deadline and a rough word count.
Applying this idea to one of our website, we’ve gone from stabbing in the dark to having a concrete plan and have grown taffic from a couple of hundred to nearly 5,000 visitors per month and it keeps growing.
Open up excel and create a new document with 3 tabs.
First tab: IDEAS
- Try and collect as many ideas as possible. Don’t over think and try to add a few new pieces each day (creativity is a skill, so just keep trying!)
- Collect anything that could inspire you to create content (I have a phrases, URLs, quora questions etc.)
Second tab: DRAFT
- First settle on a keyword then gather some data. You can use ubersuggest for a rough idea of search volume and difficulty.
- I then like to sketch out my title, url and meta description.
- Next I like to estimate how long the piece will be and whether it will drive revenue or not (you need both!)
- Finally I have some tick boxes to make life easier including have a started a draft, found images, created a Pinterest pin etc.
Third tab: PUBLISHED
When I publish a post, I copy the row across and complete it so that I have the following:
- meta description
- Published date
- Keyword data (target keyword, search volume, difficulty score)
- Current ranking position
- Commercial score
- Word count
AJS Digital Group - Digital Marketing, Done Right.
Book your free phone consultation today.